Back pain is a very common physical complaint. It is an unpleasant sensation and is usually a sign that something is wrong in the body.
Although it is so common that everybody is or has been affected by this, it still must not be taken lightly. In some cases, it can be severe and even affect ones quality of life. If youre looking to complete a remedial massage course, knowing more about this condition is essential.
- Acute Pain a common type that can be experienced for 6 to 12 weeks. This may feel like a burning, stabbing, aching, sharp or dull sensation. Its intensity can be mild to severe, but can also fluctuate.
- Chronic Pain can last for up to 3 to 6 months, or even more. This may or may not be caused by an identifiable pain generator. It can be influenced by several factors, including emotional states like anxiety or depression.
Back pain can occur in different locations such as the neck, middle back, lower back and tailbone. Aching on any of these parts can have such an impact on everyday living if left untreated. Mobility and performance can also be affected to some degree.
- Muscle strains or spasms occur when excessive force is applied to the muscles or when the muscles are repeatedly used. This can also happen if one has pre-existing conditions that make them prone to soft tissue injuries.
- Injury or fracture often resulting from accidents, sports, work-related tasks and other physically-demanding activities.
- Spinal disc herniation occurs due to the tearing of the vertebral discs of the spine. Under stress, vertebral discs may swell and push through their outer membrane and begin to bulge. Strenuous activities or an injury can cause the membrane to rupture and cause pain.
- Osteoarthritis the most common type of arthritis that affects weight-bearing joints in the knees, hips and spine. With this condition, the cartilage loses elasticity and becomes stiff.
- Poor posture it may not seem like it, but the way a person stands and sits can affect the spine or back, one way or another.
- Structural problems refer to the misalignment of the spine due to curvature disorders such as scoliosis, lordosis and kyphosis.
Frequent and unbearable back pain needs immediate treatment. Studying massage therapy courses online or on-campus in trusted and fully equipped massage schools will give therapists the needed training to provide a suitable and effective treatment to patients. Only with the right understanding of back pain, plus the right massage training, can this condition be effectively treated.